Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Rain. No rain.

Though it's the rainy season, and though we've had some days - even weeks - with plenty of rain, we've not had as much rain as we need. Davis, my neighbor in Kipkaren, explained the plight of the Kenyans well in this letter.

Even as I've been typing this, we had rain for just 15 seconds or so. I am praying that the rain will return.

Tomorrow, I will be going to Nairobi for 3 days. I've really not had any time out since I've been back, so these breakaways to Nairobi are critical for sanity purposes. I need to get a haircut. I'd love to see a movie. And I'll simply relax by going to sit and read a good book in a good coffee shop! (We don't have coffee shops in this area.) I also need to return a damaged piece of luggage to British Airways at the airport, and I am meeting with friends who recently lost their 9-month-old baby.

Before I head to bed: Today, a weaver bird came and sat by my window and kept pecking at the window. It was really cute. Then an African paradise flycatcher flew right into my kitchen and out again, and perched on my kitchen door! Later, as I took out my trash, there was a pair of cinnamon-chested bee-eaters right above my head, just watching me watch them. And yesterday, a Ross' turaco was playing in the tree right by my house! It was especially neat to see it fly - the tips of its wings are the brightest red imaginable. But even as it was just hopping about the tree, eating seeds, the contrast between its bright yellow beak and red crest was beautiful!

I love God's creativity with all these different birds, and with the people he has placed around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment