Friday, July 28, 2006

Chicken Soup

It's soup weather out here. It's been raining on and off for two days now, with the rain coming down really hard since this afternoon.

Once I got home from dropping off colleagues in town (the road was like a river, but I'm enjoying driving these roads more and more with my car!) I got into sweats, a warm sweatshirt, and put a chicken on the stove. (Blame it on the weather, but suddenly I'm envisioning this live chicken standing on the stove... Obviously, that's not what I did!)

I've been working on my computer for a couple of hours, and am ready to go debone the chicken and add fresh carrots from the garden and some zucchini. And mushrooms and snap peas. Yummy! And then curl up with a book for a quiet Friday evening.

I'm reading a book called African Friends and Money Matters. For me as a Westerner, it's tough being asked for money almost on a daily basis, whereas for most Kenyans, it's nothing unusual. Sharing resources is very much a part of life here, so I'm trying to better understand how my colleagues and neighbors view money and other resources.

So, it's off to the kitchen while the rain is still coming down hard outside.

I love the sound of the rain on my tin roof, the smell of chicken soup, and that I have electric lights to read by, and a warm blanket to read under...

Anyone want to come over for some soup? Just bring your own book.

No comments:

Post a Comment