Saturday, January 28, 2006

Karibu Kenya!

That's "Welcome to Kenya." I am back "home," or, at least, almost home. I am in downtown Nairobi, killing time before heading to the airport for my flight to Eldoret. This morning, I walked a hotel close to the hostel where I stayed to get a cab. Originally, I thought I'd try to get a driver to bring me downtown and take me to the airport after a few hours. The guy wanted to charge me KS4,500. I reminded him that I wasn't a tourist, that I live in Kenya and know how much things cost, so I just had him take me to the city, which is KS300. He tried his best to convince me that I needed to hire him since I have luggage, but fortunately I had left my bigger, heavier suitcase at the domestic airport yesterday when I tried to get an earlier flight home, and only have overnight luggage with me. I left the lugagge at a downtown hotel while doing all I needed to do this morning.

One thing I wanted to get while in Nairobi was a transformer for my printer. We use 220V in Kenya, and my printer needs just 110V. The first shop I went didn't have any step-down transformers. I went to a big hardware store next door, and they suggested I go to "Electric City." Since I had no idea where that was, they offered to send Mr. Sunday with me. They also suggested that it would be safer since I had my backpack on me.

Mr. Sunday's name doesn't suit him well. It makes him sound like he's a laid-back guy. He should be Mr. Lightning or something! He walked like something was after him, cutting through traffic and occasionally looking over his shoulder to make sure I'm keeping up. We got to Electric City just to be told they didn't have transformers; we should go to their other store which is around the corner from where we started. By the time we reached the next store and I got what I needed, Mr. Sunday had a big smile on his face. He said, "You got good exercise today." I was red in the face from the walk. But I was glad that Mr. Sunday had walked with me. He actually seemed surprised that I tipped him when we got back to his workplace. I think he was thankful for the opportunity to slip out of the store.

Next, I needed someplace to eat and relax. I was really hungry by then, only having had a donut (called a bombolino) and coffee for breakfast yesterday in Addis, a bite of dry chicken for lunch on the airplane, and nothing for dinner.

After I had cooled down and eaten, I decided to walk around some book stores in the city center for a while, come to an Internet cafe, and next, head to the airport.

Laban, the orphanage director, will pick me up at the Eldoret airport this evening. Then I get to see the kids and my house! I'm having dinner at the Teimuges' house tonight. They're the directors of the ministry. I'm glad I won't have to cook since I don't have much in the house right now. On Monday, I'll go to town to buy groceries and upload photos to Flickr of my house and of the kids in their school uniforms.

I think if anything, being in Ethiopia so soon after settling in Kenya truly made me thankful for how things are in this country. It also gave me time to think and pray through some specifics in planning for ministry focus this year. I'll share more about that at another time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Jim Bedford in the UK,
    I visit Eldoret occaisionally and am now well overdue for a visit. I like staying at the Eldoret club. I work with a womens group that originally were based in Eldoret but the group have moved to Matunda. I have helped them with finance for small businesses and for training orphans to learn a trade, sewing, knitting hairdressing. They take governments exams and it seems successful. Do you know Matunda?
    I also am slightly (should be more)involved with a mission group at Kimilili, IcFEM-mission. They are a big group doing much work in and around Kimilili do you know them? If you don't it's worth a trip to see their wonderous work!
    God bless,