Friday, November 25, 2005

My last flight

I'm in Eldoret, my new home town. I could either have taken a 5-hour minibus ride here, or the 45-minute flight. I love that I flew, not only to get here faster, but for the view.

Wilson Airport is right next to the Nairobi National Park, so right after take-off we flew over a big herd of zebra and wildebeest. I also saw some Cape buffalo from the air. Next, you fly over Kibera, the slums of Nairobi. It's the biggest slum in Africa with about 5 million people living in shacks. After that, it's a stretch of beauty as you fly over the Great Rift Valley, including lakes lined in pink with flamingos. The descent into Eldoret is a bumpy one since the aiplane seats about 20 or so people only. In fact, it's so small that they had to leave my one piece of luggage in Nairobi for the next flight out, this evening.

Brian, who picked me up at the airport, had to run some errands, so I'm at the ELI office for a little while only, then it's off to Illula, the center. Home. I'll be happy to see my coworkers and especially to see the children. And I'll be delighted not to live out of a suitcase for a while!

In about a week, a team from Iowa will be arriving. I'll be heading to Nairobi to meet them. Can't wait to see the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment