Sunday, August 03, 2008

Run!

We have some really vicious dogs around. As I was sitting here, reading, I heard a fight break out. It's not unusual to hear them just putting one another in place for a very short while, but this was obviously a vicious attack. I went to see if I can do anything (like find the night watchman, Cosmas.) Cosmas was there, trying to break up the fight, but couldn't get too close. He did finally manage to break things up. Three of the dogs (Blackie, Blackie 2 and Kali) were attacking a smaller dog. Yikes. It's the stuff of nightmares. I wouldn't normally go close, but this went on for a while and I wanted to see if I could help. Going there did actually help since I had a strong flashlight that I could shine on the dogs from a distance so Cosmas could see better to break up the fight. The poor smaller dog that had been attacked is hiding in the bush somewhere. I wonder if Michelle might have to play vet again tomorrow and stitch up the wounds...

Other than this fight, it's been a very good day! I read two complete books today, finished the second half of another, and am about halfway to finishing a fourth. It's been a productive Saturday. But more than simply getting the books checked off my reading list (I still need to write reports on all 17 books read for this class!), I sat in amazement today to see how the different lessons God is teaching me through life, ministry and class are fitting together. I am actually really looking forward to start writing my integration paper, which is due in less than 2 weeks.

The visitors all went to the AIDS campaign today, and Kit actually ran in the 10km race. Poor guy! The Kenyans creamed him! I think they lapped him 11 times. Lesson to be learned: Don't try and run against the Kalenjin, especially not on their turf, at 7,000 ft above sea level! They'll put you to shame. I'll remember that. Not that I have any aspirations to run. Unless I'm running away from our dogs, of course. Which won't happen. 

Tomorrow, I'll be heading to town to pick up Kierra and drop off other visitors. Plus buy some groceries while I'm in town. During some down time today, I caught up on my Google Reader reading, skimming various blogs. No fewer than two of them talked about Krispy Kreme Donuts. Yum. I'm glad I'm very, very far from the nearest KK shop, else I may have succumbed to the temptation today. The distance at least helps me stay on track with dropping pounds, one at a time.

I realize the process of dropping extra weight would happen much faster if only I enjoyed running. But I don't. In fact, I really hate running. Hate is a strong word, I know. It's the most appropriate word for how I feel about running. Especially at this elevation. This week, the plan is to add exercise to my day by trying to imitate some Caribbean kickboxer chick. At least I can make a fool of myself in the privacy of my own home.

Flannel won't tell a soul how silly I look.

1 comment:

  1. How are the push ups coming?? :-)Give Kierra a hug for me! You should try Pilates and Yoga. Very low impact and very good for toning up, loosing weight, and increased flexibility! I was able to do my workouts there in the elevation with no problems. I can send you some info if you would like. Plus you can have some conversation time with God during the Yoga.

    ReplyDelete