Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Sunday morning

I had written this update on Sunday morning, but was unable to upload it at that time due to a SLOW connection.

It's Sunday morning, and Brian and I had to come to the office in town really quickly to see off a team that's been at our other site in Kipkaren. After this, we'll be heading back to Ilula for church. We have church at the center since it's easier that way with all the children. People from the community also come to church at Ilula. By the time we left, children's church was under way. Wish you could hear the little kids sing at the top of their lungs!
I've been at Ilulu for just more than 2 days now. It has been amazing to see the children recognize me and ask about Danette, Lori and Pat. Yesterday afternoon, we showed the “Jesus Film for Kids” (in Swahili) and it was incredible watching the little ones. They were really into the movie, laughing at kids' lines, and burying their little faces in their hands, peeping through their fingers, anytime Jesus was mistreated. Several of them were crying during the crucifixion… I look forward to being able to speak Swahili so I can visit with them about their experiences.

The Hut
Yesterday, I spent time with the leaders here looking at where exactly my hut should be. One option is to have it further away from the training center, under a bunch of eucalyptus trees. It's a beautiful spot and very private, but the concern is that it's far from everyone else. The second option is to build it right next to Brian and Kristin's hut. I'm thinking more and more than this is a better option.

We also sketched out the floor plan and gave it to the contractor for a final quote. They'll start making the bricks on Monday and start working on the foundations right away.

Life
Right now, I'm living in one of the guest huts. It's very simple, yet comfortable. I'll try to upload a photo or two. I've been having to take cold showers (BRRR!), but it's not too bad when you get a bucket of hot water from the fire behind the shower and take a “bucket shower,” i.e. rinsing with a pitcher of warmer water. (I have found out since that there is a solar-heated shower.)

Since I don't have access to a kitchen of my own right now, I've been eating with the Albrights. They have guests, 2 couples/friends from the US, so it's been a big group. I'll be moving into the Rogers' hut (they're the directors and are currently in the US for fundraising and speaking engagements) soon, and will then be cooking for myself until the Iowa team comes.

Names
I've been remembering most of the staff members' names from last year, and many of the children. I've been carrying around a little note book, though, to write down names and descriptions, since I'm a visual learner. I'm going to start taking individual photos of the children and putting their names on the photos with Photoshop since I'm a visual learner.

It's cute to see the kids coming up and saying, “Adéle, do you remember my name?” It's like a game they play with me. I really, really would like to know everyone's names soon since it shows that I value who they are.

Sounds
In the morning, I wake up to the sound of cows walking by the road that passes close to my hut. At night, the wind blows quite a bit and you hear the wind in the trees. Nothing else. No traffic. No music or television. I often turn on music on my computer when things are too quiet.

Right now, I can hear a local church singing. Africans have beautiful voices and they sing with all their hearts and beings. At church, they might have a bass guitar and a drum. (Children's church only has a drum. It's neat to see the kids play the drum.)

Money
I've had to get used to working in thousands again. I've been looking at furniture. A mattress, for example, is about 20,000 Kenyan Shillings. That's about $270. Fruit and vegetables are generally quite cheap. We bought roses at the neighboring rose farm yesterday (export roses) at $.45 a dozen!

We're heading out. Will update when I have a chance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment