Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Chai, chai, and more chai

Kenyans are incredibly hospitable. You don't walk out of someone's house without being offered chai. Now, if the chai were what I'd have at Starbucks, it'd be wonderful! But Kenyan chai is basically just black tea boiled with milk and sugar. If you're offered chai at someone's home, it's rude to refuse.

On Sunday after church, I joined a group of friends (Brian and Kristin had friends in town, whom they took to our other center, the Kipkaren Training Center.) Our trip to Kipkaren was good. They have such an incredible team spirit there! There was, as always, a welcoming ceremony and I even had to cut a ribbon for us as a group to enter. I was introduced numerous times--to the students who had tons of questions about how farming practices compared in South Africa--and to the staff. They are REALLY glad to have me on the team!

Yesterday, we went on home visits in the Kipkaren area. My water bottle had been taken after dinner (mistaken for garbage) so I didn't have water to take with me. We walked FAR to visit 2 homes. At the first one, the lady had to be called from the fields, so we waited about half an hour after our hour walk. She insisted that we have chai. It was hard for me to swallow the chai since this is a VERY rural household. I am not sure if hot water is ever used to wash the cups, and soap, I am certain, is a luxury they cannot afford!

After finishing chai at Eunice's home, we headed to another home where we once again got chai, green bananas (they're ripe, though), and chapatis. I was just praying that God would protect my stomach! This second home belonged to a slightly more affluent family. The father of the house, John, has two wives and 23 children! (If you click on the photo at on the of the other entries I posted today, you'll see photos of these visits.)

Then we walked back in the sun. I had some water, but not enough, so by the time we got home last night, I wasn't feeling too bright. Had a headache and my tummy felt queezy. I made some toast, got a DVD from the Albrights, and got into bed at 7! I felt way better this morning! No more headaches or tummy aches. (From time to time, though, my stomach makes a really odd twist!)

Brian and Kristin's friends left today, so they went on Safari with them. That means I am on my own for a few days. I have plenty to work on, and on Friday morning I'll catch a shuttle to Nairobi. Will do shopping and stay at a hostel for the night. I'll meet Vincent--a driver the Watershed team had connected me with--and I will go to pick up Dave Saturday morning, and then we'll go and look for things like taps, sinks etc for my house which will be built in the next 2 weeks.

On Sunday morning, Dave, Vincent and I will go to pick up the rest of the Iowa team. The children at the orphanage know that we'll be doing a VBS next week and keep reminding me that the team will arrive on Sunday. Not that I need reminding... I am really looking forward to their arrival!

It's around 1 pm here now. I'm heading to Nakumatt, a grocery store in town, to buy some groceries. This afternoon, I'll be moving to Don and Amy Rogers' hut until my hut's done, and will need to cook for myself now. It's challenging for me to be dependent on others (the Albrights for meals, and anyone who's coming to town for a ride).

Today, I'll also be talking with various satellite Internet providers in Nairobi to see who can give me the best deal so we can get Internet access at the center as soon as possible! It will make life MUCH easier to have access at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment