Sunday, November 06, 2005

Crazy times

"How much stuff do I really need?" This is a question I had to pose myself many times today. Do I really need so much stuff? It's a challenge, wanting to live a simple life, yet knowing that I don't want to be stuck wearing the same few things over and over and over.

The packing is moving along. Seeing that I'm stopping in LA for meetings, then in Taipei, then in Johannesburg, it makes it a bit more challenging. But it's all good. And it's almost done. I only have office stuff left, and books. But those will be put in an ActionPacker and brought by the New Covenant team that's coming in December. What a blessing.

Tomorrow I have to say good-bye to friends at church. And then, it's a matter of wrapping up details all week long. Backing up computer files. Finishing and printing off a missions manual I've been working on. Final house projects (help clean gutters etc.). And then it's my birthday on Saturday. Some friends are having a little gathering on Friday night to celebrate and say good-bye. I refuse to do any packing/work on Saturday. I'll go see a movie or something. Fun stuff.

Sunday, my flight leaves early in the morning. Our good friend Nan is taking Danette and I to the airport. Danette has a national sales meeting in LA that week, so we're blessed to be able to fly out together. I'll go show her Santa Monica, then take her to her hotel, after which I'll head to Azusa, California.

Sunday night, there's a gathering of friends at the Clarks' house in Glendora. (This is the family I stayed with while studying/working at Azusa Pacific.) I'm looking forward to seeing some friends and doing a presentation on Africa.

On Monday I'm having a meeting with old friends from the missions office and getting materials from them that I can use in Kenya, then off to a meeting with people from ELI.

Tuesday's packed, from breakfast to late. Then it's off to the airport for my flight to Taipei.

I will have no Wednesday, November 2005, thanks to crossing the International date line. I land in Taipei on Thursday, November 17 and will be met by friends. Then it's lunch w/ colleagues, followed by coffee with friends, and finally a dessert event that evening at Taipei International Church, where I'll be doing another presentation. This is a bit crazy, considering that I'm giving myself NO time to adjust from jetlag. And Taiwan's 14 hours ahead, so essentially when I'm doing my presentation, my body will want to sleep...

Friday I'm going to my old office, seeing friends at ORTV and having lunch with former colleagues. And then it's NO MORE BUSINESS. Just an afternoon of enjoying a bit of down time with friends who go way back.

Saturday I'll want good Chinese breakfast and head up the mountain on the back of my friend Nina's scooter to see the city for one last time. Then it's off to the airport again...

My flight to South Africa takes me through Singapore for a short stopover. I'll be eager to get on the plane and sleep! I land in Johannesburg around 6 am Sunday morning, South Africa time and will spend the morning with my family, relaxing and enjoying SUMMER. That afternoon, my new niece/goddaughter Anja is being baptized, so it's a big event with friends and famiily.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is FAMILY TIME, with only one meeting with a local church. Then it's off to Nairobi on Thursday.

I get in too late for the flight to Eldoret, so I'll spend Thursday evening in Nairobi and fly out Friday morning, November 25 to Eldoret.

I'll be at my new home 12 days after leaving Cedar Rapids. I think I'll be MORE THAN ready to unpack and not live out of my bags for a few weeks. And I'll be eager to get to know my new neighbors and coworkers.

I hope to keep you up to date as I travel, but I won't always be assured of an Internet connection, hence the detailed schedule.

Would you pray for me during these crazy few weeks, that I'll remain in good health with my eyes fixed on Christ. I don't want to be so busy that I miss opportunities to simply respond to whatever He wants me to do/say.

No comments:

Post a Comment