Friday, November 25, 2005

Karibu, Adele!

It's an ABSOLUTE joy to be back at Ilula! I had some time to unpack and have lunch with Brian and Kristin, and then headed over to the orphanage. The kids came running, laughing and saying, "Karibu, Adele!" (Karibu is kiSwahili for welcome.)

I was amazed that the kids remembered me. They promptly also asked, "Where's Danette? And Lori? And Patricia?" Some of the older ones who can speak English well reminded me that we gave them T-shirts last year with the fruit of the spirit on it, and that we made balloon hats. They're thrilled that I'm here to stay, and I have had numerous invitations to their dorm rooms to come and visit. One girl's dorm (where little Ruth is a fearless leader) recited John 3:16 to me since that was their memory verse last year.

The Kenyan staff keep asking me if it feels real for me to be back. It does indeed. The roads are as bumpy. The smiles are as big, if not bigger, than last year. Life here is as simple as before.

Right now, I'm in town since Laban, the orphanage director, had to come to run errands and asked me if I wanted to come and do e-mail. I'm in a cyber cafe overlooking the local market. Below are vendors with big bags of rice, maize and an assortment of beans. There are also vendors who sell fresh vegetables: bright red tomatoes, spinach, cilantro, cucumbers, potatoes. And then there are a number of stalls where you can purchase second-hand clothing and shoes.

Some other pictures from this morning's trip into town: I walked to Uchumi, the local grocery store, to buy cheese and wannabe hotdog rolls for Brian. Dorothy, from our office, accompanied me so I could see where Uchumi is, and I bought us fruit juice. Three street children followed us for the longest time saying something in Swahili. When I asked Dorothy what they were saying, she explained that they wanted our juice. I will give them juice next time I walk by them since mine was already done and Brian was waiting for us.

I now need to head back to the airport to pick up my other bag. There wasn't space on the little 19-seater plane for all the luggage.

Tonight, I will have dinner at Laban and Angelina Rono's house (orphanage directors and a family who I know will be key in my time here). I am looking forward to visiting with them and will be sure to take photos. I will bring greetings from my friends, family and supporters around the world. It means the world to these Kenyans to know that others are thinking of them.

You will be joining us for dinner, in a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment