Saturday, June 02, 2007

Red Tape

For the past two months, I've been having frequent phone conversations with an office in Nairobi regarding a document which Kenyans simply refer to as a log book. It's not your typical log book; it's more like registration papers. Without your log book, your car cannot leave the country.

When I bought my car, I was told that the papers were still being processed to change the log book from two owners ago's name to the name of the person from whom I had purchased it. "We should have the new log book within a month," I was told by a guy at the admin office of the ministry from whom the previous car owner worked. "Then we can send off the paperwork to have it changed from the Callaghans' name to yours."

That was a year ago.

Since I'm hoping to drive to our site in Tanzania later this summer, I need the log book. So I turned up the heat, calling the said missions office regularly. "Any news on the log book?"

Last week, I was told that the log book did finally arrive, but it's still in the name of 2 owners ago! I'm told it would not be good for me to go to the actual government office to enquire about the case, since I'd be asked for a bribe. With a bribe, the paperwork will most definitely be done much faster!

I don't want to pay bribes.

Will you please join me in praying for a miracle, that the new log books (first in the Callaghans' name, then in mine) will be issued in record time?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I wish you all the best. You are right. Do not give in to bribe as they would ask for more. You are doing great work, God is looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete