Thursday, April 05, 2007

Sushi

I was craving good sushi the other day and decided that it seems easy enough to make it myself. (Yes, you can find sushi in Iowa. It's just not as good as the stuff you can find in parts of the world where there really are more Asian people.)

Making sushi, it turns out, really isn't that hard at all. Amazingly, I found seaweed at Target and sticky rice at Hy-Vee. Those, I'd say, are the critical ingredients to making sushi. I guess I could've searched for some recipes, but what's the fun in that? So I just made it like I knew I'd like it: a thin layer of rice, just a touch of wasabi, some avocado, cucumber and crab, roll it nice and tight, cut into bit-size chunks, and voila! Sushi's on the table. Just add soy sauce and some friends to share it with!

Hmmm. I think I'm going to have friends bring some sticky rice to Kenya when they come to visit. And seaweed, of course. It'd be fun to share sushi with my Kenyan friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment