Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Energy

It's supposed to be the dry season, but the past few evenings, we've had soft rain. Last night and this morning, it has been pouring! It's a bit of a challenge when you live in a world where there is no such thing as a tumble dryer. I remember the first time I took a team of APU students to Mozambique and we had to hang our laundry on the line, one student took photos of the process saying, "This feels like we're in the movies! You mean, people still do this in real life?!" We do indeed. It seems like the rain may have passed for the moment. The wind is blowing slightly, and the sun seems to be sticking its head out in the east. Wind and sun. Our dryers are showing up. (Moments later they hid and it's pouring once again. I guess I can look at it as my laundry being washed three times in one day!)

***
Today is a national holiday in Kenya. It's the end of Ramadan. There are few Muslims in our direct neighborhood, though there are two mosques nearby and a fair number of Muslims living in those neighborhoods. In North and Eastern Kenya, Islam is more predominant. On the topic of Islam, and excellent Web site I've recently been made aware of is 30daysfire.net.

On that note, I need to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment