Sunday, September 03, 2006

Random thoughts on a rainy Saturday night

  • I spent 14 hours at an AIDS-awareness campaign yesterday. Will write more about it on the ELI blog later this week, but it was incredible to be in a place with thousands of people coming to hear about a disease that no-one wants to talk about, yet which is touching almost every person in attendance in some way or another.
  • Driving to our Kipkaren base after the campaign, I passed a gas tanker than had overturned on the side of the road. Less than an hour later, the tanker was on fire. When I drove by heading home to Ilula this morning, it was still burning.
  • It's September. That means that spring has officially started in South Africa.
  • I drove entirely too much in the past 3 weeks and would very much like to declare this week a week of fasting from driving altogether. However, I have to buy groceries in town, and have to arrange for teams' luggage transportation etc, which means I'd have to go to town after all.
  • Yesterday was my niece Simone's 10th birthday. I've never lived in the same country as any of my three nieces or my nephew for more than just a week or two.
  • I hate mosquitoes.
  • I love the sound of rain on my roof even as I'm writing this.
  • My chameleon will be happy to see I'm not leaving again this week so she can actually live on my plant, not in her cage.
  • I showed the kids Eight Below today. I love how they get into movies and were cheering really loud when the dogs were found at the end of the movie.
  • I don't want to be alone tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment