Saturday, August 19, 2006

Saturday: Nan's birthday

It's been thundering for about an hour now, with occasional downpour. Sounds like the storm is further away now, toward Uganda... We've had cloudbursts many afternoons now so that the road has become pretty bad in certain spots. Last night, as I was driving home, I noticed that some homes, churches and dukas (small stores) were flooded. It's times like these that I am very, very thankful for a dry home! The flooding reminds me of typhoons in Taiwan.

Had a team here this morning who wanted to visit with our kids. They've been serving at Kipkaren and those who sponsor kids here just wanted to spend some time with their kids. Beyond that and the thunder storm, it's been a quiet Saturday.

Today is my friend Nan's birthday. I met Nan when I was living in Marion, Iowa, and we used to go for walks at 5:15 am. Nan's a gifted quilter, a great hand-and-foot player (card game), a wonderful chef, has great taste in music, makes me laugh, and when Nan, Danette and I hang out, I always go to bed with a smile on my face. So Nan, here's to you and to our friendship. I am praying that God will continue to reveal himself to you in new ways this coming year. I do hope that we'd be able to celebrate your next birthday in Africa! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment