Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday, study day

I planted myself firmly in a corner at one of the many branches of Starbucks today, and finished yet another book report for the paper I'm working on. This paper is for a class I took in Cape Town last September, and ended up asking for an extension for the paper due to all the changes that transpired in my world after that class. Perhaps with some other classes, I'd be able to go through the pile of reading and writing much faster, but with the subject of this class is "Theology of Work," and it's the topic I'm planning on focusing on for my dissertation. It's thus been hard to just zip through materials. I'm trying to truly understand it, to glean from the books information that I can use in future workshops or classes, because I plan to teach on this topic for a long time to come. Thus, I'm trying hard to become much smarter than I actually find myself to be. :) May it suffice to say that I have a LONG way to go before I can present an entire seminar on the topic. But I'll get there, with God's grace. And with many more days of focused studying. And many more cups of coffee.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive day. I don't know why, but I can get so much more done at a coffee shop than I can at home. The allure of the TV and computer is too great at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love sitting in a coffee shop...enjoying a cup of joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Theology of work"; what an intriguing theme. Some of us Koinonia Ladies here in Cedar Rapids watched a DVD Friday night called "The Ultimate Gift", about the transformation of an indulged young man. The first lesson he learned was called "the gift of work". That's a thought worth pondering too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, next Saturday I am ditching the boys and having a Starbucks date with you! Weird that I don't have anything I have to study anymore ... but plenty of parenting books to read. ;) I'll bring one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your report. Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete