Friday, April 04, 2008

Non-linear thinking

  • I decided not to go and take my driver's test yesterday. Thought I might not be too alert due to jetlag.
  • Went this morning, but I have to produce some more pieces of mail to prove that I really have an Iowan address. So I might go back next week.
  • Else I'll just use my South African license. Which is completely legal.
  • I may have been the only person around Cedar Rapids wearing a coat, scarf and gloves. Some young Iowans are out in shorts and T-shirts while I'm shivering.
  • It was 34 degrees this morning. It may get up to a blistering 50 degrees later in the day. Warm enough to melt all of yesterday's snow.
  • Yes, we had snow yesterday.
  • We had heavy rains yesterday afternoon, followed by an inch of snow. More, actually, but much melted thanks to the rain.
  • This morning was the first morning in a while that I was back at scraping ice and snow off the window of the car I'm using.
  • It was also the first morning that I was wide awake at 4 am. Got to spend 2 hours in bed, reading. Then I got up.
  • Today, I get to visit with lots and lots of people at a dessert event. Tomorrow and Sunday's packed with missions events. And a wedding reception in between everything.
  • I should be working on my presentation for tonight. Not a formal presentation, no. Just some pictures from the past year. Then head home to help bake a million pies for tonight.
  • OK, I'm exaggerating, I know.
  • Some people were wondering if tonight's dessert is part of the New Covenant missions weekend. Yes, it is. That's why I'm in town.
  • Back to work.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds super busy! I'm sure many will be touched by what you share!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello.

    My name is Reina Shelby and I am one of those whose life was touched by a missionary to a foreign country. Thank you so much for all the work you are doing!

    Today I'm writing to you because my son has an assignment to interview a missionary. I've written to a few but none has replied and the deadline is fast approaching (April 10). I know you are very busy, but I'd really appreciate if you could take a minute to answer some questions. You can write me back at reina@UCLAlumni.net.

    Here's a note from my son.

    Hi,

    My name is Kepler Shelby. I'm 8 years old and I am homeschooled. I go to AWANA club at First Arcata Baptist Church in Arcata, California. I have an assignment to ask a missionary a few questions. Can you please help me? Here are the questions.

    1. Where do you work?

    2. What is your job?

    3. Are there many Christians in Japan?

    4. How do you talk about Jesus?

    Thank you for helping.

    Kepler Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your non-random thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adele,

    It was wonderful to finally meet you and Danette last night! I have read your blog, but it was so much more real hearing you talk firsthand about your experiences in Kenya. Hopefully we can get together again soon, and we will continue to pray for you and the children and staff in Ilula and Kipkaren, not to mention all of Kenya's people.

    Bridgit Brandt
    mrsxb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, I will start reading your blog from now on. Unfortunately mine is in spanish : (
    Hey, I was just in the US too, sorry we missed each other.

    ReplyDelete