Sunday, June 19, 2005

In the meantime . . . the period of time between now and what's next

I've been thinking much lately about the phrase "in the meantime." This past year has been an in-the-meantime year. When I first moved to Cedar Rapids a year ago, I knew that I'd be moving to Canada within a year. But before I could go where I believed God was calling me, I had to raise support. I got involved in my community in Cedar Rapids, making this a most exciting year. I got to know incredible people, both young and old(er). I fell in love with the Midwest. I shot roots in this part of the world.

In the meantime, I knew I will have to leave. It's inevitable. My American visa will run out soon, plus, I have scholarship obligations which require me to leave the USA. Yet I refused to be tentative in my involvement with life in Cedar Rapids, even though I knew my stay was only temporary.

And now that my time to leave truly has arrived, I am forced to wait once again. The Canadian government is requiring documentation from Canada which was not stipulated on their Web site. I may be here for another week. Or two. Or three. God only knows. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes focused on the goal: pressing onward in Christ, yet living fully in the moment.

I'm leaving soon, but in the meantime, I'm loving my time in Iowa. I'm enjoying plenty of fresh sweet corn. I went to a Kernels baseball game for the first time last night and learned lots about the game Americans love so much. Even just in the past week, I have gotten to know people whom I know I'd be sad to say good-bye to when I leave.

Emotionally, it's challenging at times. I have to prepare to leave, but since my exact departure date is no longer anything I can plan, I have to also continue to enjoy every day here and now.

I'll be heading Westward soon for a 3-day drive to Vancouver where once again I will have to make new friends, shoot roots, find a church, serve Christ in whatever ways he brings across my path. In many ways, I am dreading the transition. I dread saying good-bye. But in the meantime, I am so looking forward to what is lying ahead.

Please do pray for my work permit to arrive soon.
Please pray for a safe drive.
Please pray for me as I have to say good-bye to good friends here.
And please pray that God will bring people into my life in Vancouver who will not only be a friend to me, but who I can encourage and bless.

I still have a significant amount of monthly support outstanding. If you're not already a financial partner and would like to commit to supporting me financially, I would truly appreciate it. Please let me know if you have any questions.

With much love,

Adele

No comments:

Post a Comment